Friday, October 31, 2008

The Perfect Words

Last night I was panicking, trying to think of a topic for my blog on language. It was ironic that a few hours before, I had a experienced an awkward moment concerning language.
Many of us have had moments that hit us so fast we don't know how to react. Maybe you have gotten into a fight with someone and couldn't find the perfect comeback. Maybe you witnessed someone getting picked on and you wanted to stand up for them but you couldn't think of the right words. Maybe you were trying to be nice in a really hard situation but you could not come up with the right thing to say. Last night I was put into a situation like this. Unfortunately, it's way too embarrassing to share with the world but trust me it was a perfect example. It came time for me to respond and I was in such a shock that I didn't think about what I should have said. I said the wrong thing and now I regret it. I mean, in my own defense, the other person wasn't hurt and I wasn't mean but I know that I could have said something better. Later I ran the situation through my head like 500 times and came up with 499 better responses. What keeps us from thinking straight in these situations? Is it the rush of thoughts that keeps us from coming up with the best thing to say? I have no idea. Once I saw a comedian on Comedy Central and he made a joke about this kind of thing. He said that he made a list of situations and then made a list of "perfect responses" to each situation. He said that he was going to memorize every response to every situation so that he could say what he wanted to in the future. I would love to have that list for next time.

No comments: