Monday, October 27, 2008

Lyrics

I get bored really easily in my Explore class so I needed something to keep me awake. Lately I have been doodling, tracing my hand in my notebook, and writing lyrics. No, I'm not a musician (even though I like to think I am when I sing in the shower) but I have memorized about a zillion songs throughout my life. As a child I memorized what was on radio Disney: N'SYNC, Britney Spears, Spice Girls. Now that I actually listen to the lyrics, I make different decisions on what I put on my iTunes. The way musicians use language is truly incredible. They take experiences or emotions and turn them into musical stories or metaphors. They are poets and not all people appreciate the words inside the melody.

The first time I heard the music of Paolo Nutini was a magical day. I was at Lollapalooza and miserable. It was like 3000 degrees outside and we decided to rest. Luckily we rested by the stage that Paolo soon graced. I wasn't resting for long. Soon I was rushing the stage, dancing to the tunes of this Scottish hottie. At first I didn't pay much attention to the words but then he began to sing These Streets and I was soon focused on what he was saying. "These streets have too many names for me. I'm used to Glemphy road and spending my time down in Orchy. I'll get used to this eventually, I know." After going home, buying his CD and listening to it over and over for the next few months, I really began to understand the message he was trying to get across. I find all of his songs to be intriguing and I have memorized every word of every song he sings.

Another artist who I absolutely adore is Kate Nash. Some hear her music and find her, well, peculiar. I have listened to some of her songs over and over and over and haven't figured them out. I think I have finally figured out "Skeleton" but I'm not sure. If anyone knows what she is talking about let me know. But, my favorite song is "Nicest Thing". I have listened to it so many times and every time, I notice something new about what she is saying. I think lot of girls can relate to that song and that's why I love it. I also love Sara Bareilles. Her songs are also really relatable. No matter what mood I'm in, I have songs to listen to.


I have really learned to appreciate the poetry that musicians create. I think that if more people listened to the words of Paolo Nutini, Kate Nash, Sara Bareilles, or the thousands of other musical artists in the world, they would learn to appreciate the way that musicians use language.

No comments: