Friday, October 17, 2008

Language That Doesn't Involve Words

Everyday we experience language without letters or voices but through music. We may not even notice the affect that a single tone can have on us while we watch a movie or listen to a song. When watching a scary movie does the music ever creep you out? This concept jumped out at me (and I really jumped) when I was watching the horror film "The Shining". There seemed to have been a repeated set of music that was used. As the moment became more intense, there was no speaking but the music grew deeper or louder. I couldn't help but think, "Do NOT look in that room" or "Going down that hallway is not the best idea." I had no idea about what was around the corner but the low vibrato of the bass was telling me what was going to happen. Another example of this can be seen in any romance movie. One of my favorites is "Pride and Prejudice." There is a scene when Kiera Knightly's character is just staring into a mirror. There is no dialogue, no expression on her face and no one else in the room. She just stares into the camera as the light changes from day to night. How did I know that she was so sad? How did I know exactly what she was feeling? The music told me; the violins told me. Yeah, I sound crazy but I heard the sad, long notes that the violins played and the sweet slow melody of the piano. That's what gave it away.

Now I know that violins and pianos do not speak words. I guess the best way to describe it is that they skip right to the emotion. There are no words to misunderstand or voices to decipher. Its the message thrown straight at you, delivering it straight to your subconscious. Next time the voices go silent and the screen sits still, listen to the voices in the background.

No comments: